Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 3-What am I Grateful for? This is EASY!

Day 3 of the Gratitude Challenge just asked us to write about something we are thankful for...and I have many, many things to be thankful for in this life. I have a job I love, wonderful parents, a great young adult son, (although still getting used to an empty nest..at 41, I know I AM old enough for this, just don't FEEL old enough...lol,) a great husband, love my job, a roof over my head, plenty of chances to spend fun times with the ones I love..yes those are the things I'm thankful for, but just to think outside the box a bit, I am going to write about all of the times in my life in which I worked MANY different jobs, while in college, while trying to get ahead on bills, etc, etc...whatever the case was, I have been BLESSED to have opportunities to work in many different types of settings and I wouldn't trade any experience for the world. Each job taught me a little something, making me who I am today...

Where to start? At the age of 14 I started my working days as the concession stand girl at The Ephrata Speedway in little old Ephrata, WA. I sold popcorn, elehpant ears, cotton candy, and the list goes on..FUN for a 14 year old and at 3.35 an hour, I had plenty of money to keep myeslf stocked in 80's fashions. :-)

Another fun job??   In between school years at the Moses Lake School District I had the opportunity to bartend at The Gorge, not just your typical beer garden but in the VIP section...now that was fun, and lots of extra cash to get ahead on bills when I wasn't working with the school district during summer months.

Of course my jobs as a school age day camp coordinator, (did this in a few locations, Ohio, and Washington,)  were great...where else did I get to practice what I learned in all my education classes, take kids to FUN places and bring my own son with me AND get paid to do it?

I cannot forget to mention my years at a couple of different airlines, LOVED these jobs, they were "second jobs," but I LOVE people..LOVE travel, so of course, loved these jobs, I always thought it was fun to see how long it would take me to calm down very angry passengers. :-)

Many of my opportunities have been in education, and I love that, but I also so grateful for all the little positions in-between that have helped shape me to be the person I am today.  There were others..many others..but these were a few highlights :-)

1 comment:

  1. What great opportunities you have had! Day 3 is easy but wait until tomorrow and have lots of Kleenex on hand!

    ReplyDelete